A Travel Blog Detailing the Journeys and Adventures of the bajafam.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Sis' Hope to Heal

I've finished our list of items lost, and it was an overwhelming, emotional struggle for me to jog my memory and think of everything that was in Matilda when she burned to the ground. I had no idea what the process would entail, and I can tell you that I never want to do that again. For it being "just stuff" it sure broke my heart into a million pieces to recall every detail. I'm not going to enjoy visiting her final resting place, and seeing the destruction of our dreams in real life.


Sis has been a basket case since she heard the news. She wept openly and with such deep sadness when she saw the pictures. I don't know how she is processing it all, but I know she's taking it very hard. We remind each other that our family is safe, and that it's okay to be sad. I wish she didn't have to feel such raw emotion at such a young age.

She came up with a plan to help us all heal, and I want to share it with you all, so that you can share it with the world, because I think it's simply beautiful. She has been wanting her own sewing machine, has been saving her money and now she has enough to buy it, and she has been wanting to quilt. Her idea? Have people from around the world send her fire department tee shirts, and tee shirt with fire related themes so that we can make a tee shirt quilt from them for each of our beds in our new Baja home. Her hope? That the love sent from everyone in the form of their tee shirts, will keep us warm and help us heal, and that we will always be comforted by the love of family, friends and strangers when we need it the most.

As you may know, her Daddy is a firefighter, and I do believe he may be taking it harder than anyone else. Of course, he internalizes it and puts up a brave front. He is our rock. But, I know that the fact that he fights fires for a living, that he helps others in their time of need, and yet, he wasn't able to help us, has shattered him. I think that an outpouring of love and friendship from the fire community would do his heart good as well.

So, if you would be so kind as to grant a sweet 8 year old's wish, to bring healing and hope back to her family's hearts through a simple donation of a fire tee shirt, please send one her way. I promise to take pictures of the progress and the final results. And if there are too many shirts, we'll make extras to give to other children that are the victims of fire loss. Please share this post and her wish far and wide!
If you'd like to help, please send the shirts to  ~ Erin VanGurp
                                                                        PO BOX 401
                                                                        Pinetop, AZ 85935

We're hoping that they will look something like this (only better, because they will be hand made by an 8 year old, her new sewing machine, and her mama)....


No comments: